In DigitalMakers when a new client arrives, in order to know what kind of service is optimal for him and for his specific situation, we need to establish in what degree of digital maturity he is. To do this, we use a living and constantly evolving tool, which we call DigitalMakers Digital Maturation Index.
This tool has been based on the reading, study and analysis of an article by the Mckinsey agency dating from 2015, “What ‘digital’ really means”.
Throughout the following, we will comment on the following points of interest in this regard:
Why use the IMD?
What we expect from this DigitalMakers Digital Maturation Index is that:
- Help us determine what we mean by Digital. It is key that all the actors involved have the same conception about what we are talking about.
- Once we have agreed on what we mean by Digital, it is time to determine exactly where the company under study is and what path it needs to travel to become a Digital company.
- And, therefore, once we have drawn the digital map and where is our company, we only need to determine the roadmap to transform digitally.
- For us, this point has a clear focus on the company’s board of directors. Does the management of the company bet on improving or making the business survive for digital channels? Do you have a budget earmarked? Is it flexible to explore new business opportunities? For example, if we are historically tennis racket manufacturers, are we willing to complement our business by making smart rackets with sensors that monitor how we play, offering customers new ways to improve the game, and turn our product into a service?
- Do digital channels shorten the distance between our company and our client, therefore we are willing to go from being a local business to an international business?
Customer Centric Strategy
- Value what business model we study, B2C or B2B? Is there any relevant public administration regulation to take into account?
- Do we put the customer at the center of our strategy as a company? Do we know where our client is from? Do we hear it? We speak? Are we willing to change and adapt our services, products and/or processes to meet your needs?
- Do we work with him in a hypersegmented way? With strategies and actions appropriate to each segment?
- Do we have the right tools to work properly with the Customer Centric strategy? CRM? Social networks? Web? Apps? SEO? SEM? Inbound Marketing? etc?
Human team and Culture
- Do we have a human team that knows how to use the technological tools that we put at your disposal? Do you know how to work with them collaboratively?
- Can you work from anywhere, at any time, from different devices?
- Are you open to learning every day (new tools, new ways of measuring, new forms of relationship with the client, etc.)?
- Does the human team have a culture of listening to the client? And to work in a continuous improvement format (in an agile methodology format) to meet your needs, while improving the service and / or process?
- Based on the Customer Centric strategy, are all relevant data stored? Is the data accessible in a cross-cutting way for the entire organization? Are the data exploited and objective decisions made in this regard? Is the improvement of the product and / or service measured?
% Direct digital business
- Finally, a relevant fact is the percentage of business that comes from digital channels, in some way this data helps us determine if we are dealing with a pure digital business (for example, a Ulabox, we can consider it to be 100% digital, since its way of reaching new clients and of relating to existing ones, it is almost always by digital channels), before some hybrid case (El Corte Inglés, reaches new clients and is related to the current ones in a hybrid way between digital and off-line ), or before a very green case digitally speaking, where it practically does not reach or relate to customers for digital channels.
In conclusion, if you want to place your company in a framework of digital maturation, finding out where it is and what route it can follow to complete a process of digital transformation, do not hesitate, contact us.
Soci a DigitalMakers.cat, expert Digital. Ha treballat en projectes Tecnològics i d’Internet durant els últims 20 anys. Executive Master in Digital Business per ESADE 2016.